Welcome to Life of Mindfulness
Here you will find simple Buddhist ideas for achieving happiness in the 21st century
Let TODAY be a new beginning for you
Mindfulness is growing in popularity by the day. If you search for the word “mindfulness” in Google, you will receive 199,000,000 results in the blink of an eyelid. But mindfulness is only one aspect of the Buddhist path, just as the commandment “thou shall not steal” is but one aspect of the Christian life, a form of Christianity Lite
Certainly, the world would be a better place if we all obeyed the Christian injunction not to steal but it would still fall short of the Christian ideal which also refers to other commandments such as “thou shalt not kill”. Christianity urges us to love others as we love ourselves and there also is the Golden Rule that we do unto others as we would have others do unto us
In the same way, society would be improved if we all practised Buddhism Lite in the form of mindfulness but how much better would society be if the inspiring ideals of Buddhism were to be applied. These are:
- Right vision, or understanding: understanding that life always involves change and suffering; realising that following the Noble Eightfold Path is the way to overcome suffering and find happiness
- Right emotion: committing oneself to wholeheartedly following the path
- Right speech: speaking in a positive and helpful way; speaking the truth
- Right action: living an ethical life according to the precepts
- Right livelihood: doing work that doesn’t harm others and is helpful to them
- Right effort: thinking in a kind and positive way
- Right mindfulness: being acutely aware of oneself, other people, and the world around you
- Right meditation, or concentration: training the mind to be calm and positive so as to develop Wisdom
My hope is that these pages will help people find easy access to Buddhist principles which encourage the living of a Life of Mindfulness and true happiness.
May all beings be safe. May all beings be healthy.
May all beings be happy. May all beings live with ease.
With Metta – Tony Brady – Dublin – Thursday, September 19th 2019